Hello Roberta,
I thought I would give you an idea of the kind of colour exercises I would give you. so that you can decide if you will have the time to do all this. Most of the excercises will be similar involving painting diagrams and some very simple designs. I will post the exercise here and email additional pdf files for the readings. When you post your answers and scanned diagrams etc, please use the subject line and tags of the initial question posted and that way you will be able to go back in the archive and use it as a resource.
regards
Dorothy
Colour Theory one – the colour wheel
Read pg 29 The 12 part colour circle from Elements of Colour by J Itten. http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Color-Johannes-Itten/dp/0471289299 The page numbering might be slightly different depending on what edition you have. Or see emailed pdf files.
Project – paint the 12 hue colour circle as illustrated pg 31.
1 Using a HB pencil, taking measurements from the book, and using ruler and compass draw the complete colour circle.
2 Use good quality poster paint or gauche student quality.
3 Practice on paper with paint and brush until you get the feel of the paint and control with yur brush. Work the paint to a creamy consistency with water so that it covers the paper evenly, not wishy- washy and streaky or lumpy and stiff. The paint should flow from the tip of the brush, and the brush should have a good pint to it.
4 Paint the colours onto the colour wheel you have drawn, mixing the colours carefully. E.g. to mix orange place red and yellow on an old plate, work the colours together until the colour is even and make an orange midway between red and yellow.
5 Write down the names of the
i primary colours,
ii secondary colours
iii tertiary colours
Scan or photograph the exercise and upload
It might take me a while to complete the painting part of it, but I think this would be a very useful exercise. I can name primary, secondary and tertiary colors, but actually mixing them will make those relationships real. I have acrylic paints -- would those do or should I pick up some guache? I have been pondering some time on how to create a coppery color in dye, and have sat studying my color wheel thinking about it. But hands-on would be much better.
ReplyDeleteGuache or poster paint would be better, but you can try it with the acrylics and see what happens. Most acrylic paints come in cool and warm hues ie two yellows, one that tends towards green and one that tends toward orange. To get a pure yellow you would have to mix both the cool yellow tending to green with the warm yellow tending to orange. Use this yellow micture as your basic yellow hue to mix the intermediate colours.
ReplyDeleteGoing on to copper colours start thinking in complimentary colours. ie the blues and oranges in Clip-Horizontal are complimentary an equal proportion of each colour, should give you a neutral colour tending to brownish. Playing with the propotions of the initial blue and orange will show you variations. You might like to experiment with paint first. Or you can use wool direct ie pure blue and pure orange matched with your colour wheel and do pick and pick or mixed thread the blue and orange coloured thread will mix optically.
Somewhere in the depths of my studio is a small sample I wove using blue and orange I shall try and find it, scan and post it.