Wednesday, October 27, 2010

High and low passes and circles

High and Low passes

There are two types of passes- sometimes know as hills and valleys, or high and low passes.
High pass (hill) -  on the turn the front warp is covered – which results in a steeper outline
Low pass (valley) - on the turn the back warp is covered – which results in a smooth outline.
Generally if several passes are made on top of each other do three low, two high for a smooth outline, and three high, two low for a stepped outline.
Make the choice depending on the outline needed .

Weaving a circle
Plan ahead in the exact placement of the circle on the warps
Ink on your circle making sure that the two warps marked pink in the diagram are low passes on the turn.
Weave section 1a  first
The first pass of the background colour is right across the tapestry forming the base of the circle. 
The second pass of the background weft is turned around a back warp.  (pink warp)Low pass
The third pass of background weft is turned around a front warp. (blue warp) High pass.
The third and fours pass of background weft is turned around one warp short the first turnaround.  Low pass.
The fifth and sixth pass of background weft is turned around one warp short the  last turnaround warp.  (red warp) High pass.
Continue on in this manner to carefully describe the outline of the circle.
Weave 1b in the same way on the other side.

To weave a beautiful smooth curve you can imagine that the high and low passes are assigned a number value.  The number represents the number of passes around a particular warp . Low passes  are .5 and high passes a full number.
1st pass one low pass                                                                                     1
2nd pass one high pass                                                                                 1.5
3rd and 4th pass low passes                                                                        2.
5th and 6th passes  ending on a high pass                                             2.5
7th,8th,9th passes making the curve steeper ending on low pass   3
10th, 11th, 12th,13th passes ending on a high pass                                 3.5
 14th, 15th, 15th, 17th passes ending on a low pass                                        4
14th, 15th, 16th, 17thpasses ending on high pass                                    4.5
 

And so on.  Gradually increase the number of passes at the appropriate rate to describe the outline of the curve.    The important thing is to start a curve on a low pass.
When weaving a smooth curve make sure your assigned values and step ups  proceed in a gradual fashion depending on the steepness of the curve.

This is much easier to do, than to describe I hope it is clear.

8 comments:

  1. Roberta,
    Let me know if this makes sense to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does make sense, and provides more detail than other discussion I have read about weaving a circle. Again, I should do some sampling to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that your plan of action should be get together a range of greys, black and white, browns etc that you think you might use for the letters tapestry. Start the sample with a circle or at least a half circle. Then move on to looking at experimenting with colour combinations/techniques, and interpreting the letters, continuing with the sampler (6"wide at the most) of one letter or parts of a letter, woven vertically and sideways, carefully looking at the curves and shapes, both the negative and positive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this -- I like having this plan of action. This is exactly the sort of planning and analysis I need to develop. I will get started this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roberta, You might like to work out a target time plan. I do not know how you like to work but some people work better to deadlines. I shall leave you to decide. Please post an image of your yarn choices, and an image of your circle once you start it. That way we can correct any problems before they get to far. Get the circle right and the rest will be much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good idea -- I DO need deadlines. The yarns I had gathered for this are labeled as Taupe in the Paternayan color card (colors 100-104) and are brownish grays. I am considering blending them with colder grays, and perhaps other browns. Later today I will post the grays I will put together, along with some pencil lines from various types of pencils. I will also start work on my color wheel today and, if time permits, I am going to take off the abortive beginning of my lettering tapestry from my small loom to start sampling with the circle. Establishing a deadline will make sure I make use of the three weekends freed up by the cancellation of the tapestry workshop. So I will post images later today (it is midday Sunday here) and when I do so will set another deadline for the next step.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will look forward to seeing the yarns, and pencil line experiments. You can
    also post an image of your colour wheel in progress, if you get that far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, a more realistic deadline. I will post things throughout this week, with a goal of finishing this group of assignments before next weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.